I thought I should just give you all an update as to where we are in the history of Den’s LVAD. Yesterday, I finished the last entry in Book 1. I am about to start writing in Book 4 soon.
Just to recap what has happened already….
- Den has Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).
- Den has a Pacemaker.
- Den changed hospitals to see a heart failure specialist.
- Den has a LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Device).
- Den went to inpatient rehab.
- Den finally came home after 3 months away.
- Den finally got cataract surgery and can see again.
I think that is all that the major events that have happened up to this point in the books. Tomorrow I will start on Book 2. Book 2 will go by a little faster as there are shorter entries and several days with no entry at all (since nothing of note happened that day).
Looking back, I can see the good days and bad days clearly. I can tell when Den was improving by the length of the notes for the days. The longer the notes, the worse the day. I think I really felt that the merry-go-round was slowing when I could get an entire day on one page in the book. It sounds small and petty, but it was like a weight was slowly being lifted off of us all and we could finally take some deep breaths again.